Thursday, June 24, 2010

Zidane's Revenge: Slovakia 3 Italy 2


I hope the Italians now know that saying bad things about a Legend's sister isn't nice.

Slovakia spanked the Italians something fierce in South Africa today (Slovakia was up 2-0 and 3-1 at two points), though it must be noted the Italians (physically) beat the crap out of a few Slovaks at the end.

No repeat Italy, sorry about that. You and your dirty sister-dissing ways are through for the '10 Cup.

Johannesburg has many flights to Rome, or so I hear.

A tip for Italy: next time, bring a better goalie/keeper, whatever. I hope that helped.

Aw, I'm just kidding. I love Italy and Italians fine. I grew up in a mostly Italian-American town, complete with old real Italians-from-Italy grandmothers in damn near every home, and they're wonderful people. Also, I used to be in theater, so I appreciate those with great acting chops like the Italian soccer team.

But I'm half Slovak, so I had to root for my cousins.

I must celebrate by making the old country family recipe of Kapustu tonight, basically kielbasa, sauerkraut, bacon, flour, onions, and no shortage of salt and pepper, served up with Gulden's brown mustard and a heap of well-buttered mashed potatoes. Yum.


"You said WHAT about my sister, Materazzi ?!" ... Zinedine Zadane, pre-head butt, World Cup Finals, France v. Italy, 2006

From Wiki:

"Popular belief has it that the Italy coach asked Materazzi to say what was said to Zidane to spark a reaction as during their days in Serie A together, the two often had conflicts."

Christ. So the cesspool stinks from the head down, eh?

Let's end on a positive note. We close with a picture of Iveta Radicova, whom many suspect will be the next Prime Minister of Slovakia. Sheesh, she looks like my sister!

No comments: